Boat Licence Course Information
Our South Australian boat licence courses are designed to be relaxed, family friendly courses. Students aged 16 and up are welcome to attend. We deliver courses throughout SA on a scheduled timetable in locations such as Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier, Millicent, Victor Harbour, Kadina, Gawler, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Naracoorte, Bordertown & much more. Sessions are held weekly throughout Summer and monthly throughout Winter. Our sessions are first in, best dressed; we cannot oversell a session so plan ahead to make sure you get a date and time that suits your lifestyle.
Upon booking, we'll give you some study material so you can be well prepared for the course. Our pre-course material will include comprehensive, yet easy-to-read, guides regarding safe boating which will help you achieve better results in the exam. Those who fail to study will likely struggle to pass so we've made pre-course study a requirement to help you get your marine licence. In addition to this study, we'll also be there to teach you on the day and answer any questions you may have. This training module is designed to supplement your study, not replace it so make sure you're well prepared.
The boat licence theory course will run for a few hours. On successful completion, students receive a certificate, whereupon a SA Boat Operators Licence can be purchased from Service SA. No further testing will be required.
To get started, phone us via the number below so we can book you in. Make sure you have your Visa/Mastercard/Amex credit/debit card ready so we can finalise your booking and send you a welcome package via phone/email.
There is a multiple choice assessment within the course. To assist you, we'll provide pre-course study material upon booking so you can be well prepared. Furthermore, we have a free copy of the South Australian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook available for download below.
From time to time people may be required to retest we will do this free of charge and on the same day. After this, if further training and assessment are required, we may give you an invitation to return. This would be without repaying the course fees, however a small retest fee may be applicable.
Once you reserve your seat in any given class, you are securing a space and others may be denied the opportunity to attend. Consequently, we reserve the right to refuse your rescheduling to another class. Boating Licence Course also reserves the right to reschedule any given class due to circumstances beyond our control. If we must reschedule a class, you’ll be given the opportunity to attend any class given by us within 1 year or to a full refund.
All sales are final. In the event that you cannot attend the course, refunds are not available.
- Discounted Super Saver - $190 - The Discounted Super Saver ticket represents amazing value! A few of these are released for every course but are extremely limited. You must request and confirm this option at time of booking.
- Discounted - $260 - Available only if the Super Savers have sold out, these tickets will also help you get a discount. You must request and confirm this option at time of booking.
- General Admission - $320 - These are available for every course or until the class has sold out. Available only if the Super Savers & Discounted tickets have sold out, these tickets include a free rescheduling element, meaning if you can't make your course, you can use this ticket to attend another class at another date. This ticket will be allocated automatically if the other tickets are not requested at time of booking.
Evidence Of Identity Requirement
You must present at least three documents as evidence of identity:
- one item from category A and two items from category B
- two items from Category A and one item from category B
- at least one item verifying your current South Australian residential address
- evidence of change of name if you have changed your name or your name is different on the documents presented.
The three documents presented must together provide your full name, signature, date of birth and current residential address. If these documents do not verify your current residential address you must provide a fourth document from the 'Evidence of residential address for registration and licensing purposes' category.
If your document only shows your middle name as an initial, you must present another acceptable primary or secondary document that shows your name in full.
Only original documents are accepted for evidence of identity or changing your name and they must be issued within the allowable time. Photocopies, extracts or commemorative certificates are not acceptable. Copies or screenshots from financial institution web pages are not accepted, even if they have an official stamp. Translations from an accredited translator based in Australia must also be presented if the documents are not written in English.
The following documents are acceptable:
- an Australian full birth certificate showing parental details (a Commemorative Certificate, certified copy or extract is not acceptable)
- an overseas birth certificate showing parental details provided a passport or an official Australian travel document is also shown
- a current Australian passport or one that has expired within the last two years
- a current overseas passport with a valid visa; or one that has expired within the last two years linked to a current Australian visa (customer must provide their visa grant notice number)
- a Certificate of Identity or a United Nations Convention Travel Document issued by the Australian Passport Office (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade)
- a document for travel to Australia (DFTTA) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection
- an Evidence of Australian Citizenship Certificate or a Citizenship by descent (Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent) document or an Adoption in accordance with the Hague Convention on inter-country adoption document
- a current or expired Australian Government ImmiCard issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) such as:
- Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS)
- Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE)
- Residence Determination (RDI)
- Australian Migration Status (AMS)
- an Extract from Register of Citizenship by Descent issued by an Australian embassy where parents are Australian-born
- photograph and/or signature stored on the Registrar of Motor Vehicles photographic licence database
- South Australian or Federal Police Officer photo identity card
- South Australian proof of age card issued after 9 October 2006
- Australian photo driver's licence or learner's permit that is current or has expired within the last two years.
If your document(s) only show your middle name(s) as an initial(s), you must present another acceptable primary or secondary document that shows your name in full.
The following documents are acceptable:
- proof of age or photo ID card issued by an interstate government authority
- current Medicare card, Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans' Affairs entitlement card or any other current entitlement card issued by the Australian government
- telephone, gas or electricity bill up to six months old
- water rates, council rates or land valuation notice up to twelve months old
- Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff and family)
- evidence of enrolment to vote from Australian Electoral Commission up to two years old
- student identity document from an Australian educational institution, with photograph and/or signature, that is current or expired up to twelve months
- Australian-issued security guard or crowd controller licence showing photograph
- occupational licence (Consumer and Business Services) showing photograph
- armed services discharge document up to twelve months old
- Australian-issued firearms licence showing photograph
- current credit or debit card that shows the embossed or printed name and signature, or account card from a bank, building society or credit union, or a passbook up to one year old
- completed MR1418 Confirmation of residential address and signature to enrol a client with the Registrar of Motor Vehicles form or a letter up to one year old from a bank, building society or credit union that shows your full name and demonstrates your signature has been verified by the bank, building society or credit union.
Evidence Of Residential Address
You need to supply only one of these documents if your residential address is not included on a category A or category B document:
- current South Australian vehicle registration certificate
- South Australian driver's licence or vehicle registration renewal for the coming period
- contract of sale, lease arrangement or rental receipt for your place of residence up to two years old
- last or current financial year Australian Taxation Office tax assessment
- certificate or statement of enrolment from an educational institution that is up to one year old
- letter (up to one year old) signed by the principal, deputy principal or head of school of a recognised educational institution, or a person with authority to sign on their behalf, on the institution's letterhead which verifies your address
- completed MR1418 Confirmation of residential address and signature to enrol a client with the Registrar of Motor Vehicles form (available from a Service SA customer service centre)
- letter (up to one year old) from a bank, building society or credit union that shows your full name and demonstrates your residential address has been verified by the bank, building society or credit union (statements and screenshots from financial institutions are not acceptable with, or without, financial institution branch stamps).
Requirements For Recreational Boating
You must meet all requirements outlined on this page when applying for a recreational boat registration or licence, with the following exceptions:
- you must provide evidence of your residential address, which can be anywhere in Australia.
- as no photographic or signature records are maintained for recreational boating, full evidence of identity is required for a duplicate copy of a motor boat operator's licence, special permit to operate a recreational vessel, or a motor vessel registration certificate.
If the application is sent by mail, the evidence of identity documents may be copies certified by a Justice of the Peace.
- an interstate photo motor boat operator's licence is acceptable as a category A document, but if the licence doesn't have a photo, it will only be accepted as a category B document.
Click or tap the picture to download a free, complete .PDF copy of the South Australian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook
Young Adults (12 to under 16 years of age)
Young adults under 16 years of age are welcome and encouraged to attend the course to learn about safe boating. However, these students can only apply for a 'Special Permit' via contacting South Australia Transport for details on the special permit application.
You have not been charged any G.S.T.There is no G.S.T within our fee
Conversion to an Adult Boat Operator's Licence
The 'Special Permit' is not certificate of completion and therefore cannot be converted into a Boat Operators Licence once the permit holder turns 16 years of age. A Special Permit expires once the holder turns 16 years of age. Please contact us to arrange a suitable time for a Boat Operators Licence Test.
The course is delivered by Sailingworld pty ltd; registered as RTO # 91229 who is trading as Boating Licence Course. This course is based upon the national syllabus of boating education designed to prevent boating incidents and save lives. We are a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The package you have purchased & are now being supplied consists of the following five units:
- MEM50008B - Carry out trip preparation and planning
- MEM50009B -Safely operate a mechanically powered recreational boat
- MEM50010B - Respond to boating emergencies and incidents
- SISOPWC201A - Select and maintain a personal water craft
- SISOPWC202A - Demonstrate simple personal water craft skills in controlled conditions
- This is a great package as you are being supplied and trained in all the five units above. There can be and are different pathways included within the package.
This is a great package as you are being supplied and trained in all the five units above. There are different pathways included within the package.